Matic already has two full Serbia caps, playing alongside Branislav Ivanovic, and was at the Under 21 European Championships in Sweden this summer, although a broken metatarsal ended his tournament in the first game against Italy.

That injury means he will be ruled out for a number of weeks yet, but he is still delighted to be a Chelsea player.

'I know a lot about Chelsea, I have been following them. 'I play together with Branislav in the national team and have spoken to him about Chelsea. The first time when I met him to play in the national team I asked a couple of questions,' Matic explained.

He may be a relative unknown to Blues fans, so chelseafc.com asked the player to say a few words about himself.

'I am a solid midfield player, I have a lot to offer and for sure to progress and I will show everyone why I am at Chelsea,' he began.

'I am a central midfielder, and I know I am not well known but I have physical power and I am quite a technical, left-footed player.

'Since the age of 18 I have been at Kosice, and before that I had played in the youth team of Red Star Belgrade.'

Matic, who is 6'4 and also holds a Slovak passport, has been heavily trailed by other Premier League clubs, and actually spent some time on trial at Middlesbrough in January.

'I was there in the winter, when I came it was winter in the north of England so it was not very nice, but the squad was okay and I liked it,' he said.

Hopefully London will be a more hospitable destination, and while Matic does not yet speak English, having Ivanovic alongside, as well as other eastern European influences Andriy Shevchenko and Yuri Zhirkov, he is sure to settle quickly.